In the previous session, we have started to discuss the schema modes by introducing the three maladaptive coping modes. In the current session, we look at two maladaptive parent modes: the Demanding Parent Mode and the Punitive Parent Mode. These are unhelpful emotional states that are triggered by stressful situations.
- To describe the Demanding Parent Mode
- To provide examples of beliefs of the Demanding Parent
- To describe the Punitive Parent Mode
- To list examples of beliefs of the Punitive Parent
- To explain how to deal with the Punitive Parent and Demanding Parent
First, we describe each of these two parent modes, then we learn how to best deal with their negative influence, before completing two exercises to become aware when any of the two modes are present and to understand their needs better so that we can reduce their negative impact.