Coffee is one of the world’s most popular beverages. Thanks to its high levels of antioxidants and beneficial nutrients, it also seems to be quite healthy. Studies show that coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of several serious diseases.
Here are the top 8 health benefits of coffee.
1. Caffeine blocks an inhibitory neurotransmitter in your brain, which causes a stimulant effect. This improves energy levels, mood, and many controlled studies in humans show that coffee improves various aspects of brain function — including memory, mood, vigilance, energy levels, reaction times and general mental function.
2. Several studies show that caffeine can increase fat burning and boost your metabolic rate. Coffee is one of the few natural substances proven to aid fat burning. Several studies show that caffeine can boost your metabolic rate by 3–11% while other studies indicate that caffeine can specifically increase fat burning by as much as 10% in obese individuals and 29% in lean people.
3. Caffeine can increase adrenaline levels and release fatty acids from your fat tissues. This is the fight-or-flight hormone, which prepares your body for intense physical exertion. Caffeine breaks down body fat, making free fatty acids available as fuel. Given these effects, it’s unsurprising that caffeine can improve physical performance by 11–12%, on average.
4. Coffee contains several important nutrients, including riboflavin, pantothenic acid, manganese, potassium, magnesium, and niacin. A single cup of coffee contains Riboflavin (vitamin B2) – 11% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI), Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) – 6% of the RDI, Manganese and potassium – 3% of the RDI, and Magnesium and niacin (vitamin B3) – 2% of the RDI.
5. Several observational studies show that coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of type 2 diabetes, a serious condition that affects millions of people worldwide. Studies observe that people who drink the most coffee have a 23–50% lower risk of getting this disease. One study showed a reduction as high as 67%. According to a large review of 18 studies in a total of 457,922 people, each daily cup of coffee was associated with a 7% reduced risk of type 2 diabetes.
6. Caffeine may lower your risk of Alzheimer’s Disease, dementia, and Parkinson’s Disease. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common neurodegenerative disease and the leading cause of dementia worldwide. Although there is no known cure, several things can be done to prevent or delay the disease. In addition to eating healthy and exercising, but drinking coffee may be incredibly effective as well. Several studies show that coffee drinkers have up to a 65% lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Parkinson’s disease is the second most common neurodegenerative condition, right behind Alzheimer’s. Studies show that coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of Parkinson’s disease, with a risk reduction ranging from 32–60%.
7. Coffee may protect your liver. Coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of cirrhosis, which can be caused by several diseases that affect the liver. Research has shown that people who drink four or more cups per day have up to an 80% lower risk.
8. Coffee can lower depression and make you happier. Depression is a serious mental disorder that causes a significantly reduced quality of life. It’s very common, as about 4.1% of people in the US currently meet the criteria for clinical depression. In a Harvard study published in 2011, women who drank 4 or more cups of coffee per day had a 20% lower risk of becoming depressed while another study of 208,424 individuals found that those who drank four or more cups per day were 53% less likely to die by suicide.
Coffee is a highly popular beverage around the globe that boasts a number of impressive health benefits.
Not only can your daily cup of joe help you feel more energized, burn fat and improve physical performance, it may also lower your risk of several conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, cancer and Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
In fact, coffee may even boost longevity.
If you enjoy its taste and tolerate its caffeine content, don’t hesitate to pour yourself a cup or more throughout the day.
Credit to Healthy Follow